black, white, read all over



If any word embodied my primary school self, it would definitely be bookworm. I wasn't just any old bookworm, either  I was literally that girl who read during mealtimes and bus trips, much to the confusion of my classmates ('Doesn't that give you headaches?' they'd always ask). I was also a proud library monitor and managed to finish Harry Potter books in under two days, despite the fact that the Goblet of Fire gave me nightmares! To be fair though, I still haven't read it since...

Anyway, with high school came some weird transition and I thought the magic of reading had been lost on me forever. I'm pretty sure that prescribed reading's to blame here, as it's no surprise that having novels forced on you completely sucks any enjoyment to be gained from reading! However, now that I finally have a break from uni for the year I'm desperately trying to get back my reading mojo. Way back in the day I had a reading list and ticked off a considerable number of books, so now I'm going to be bringing it back by reviving my GoodReads account. I also have so many books that have been gathering dust, and with summer coming up it's the prime time to plough through them!





Here I have a couple of classics that I picked up for the pretty covers, but never had time to read before now. I’m also sneakily borrowing the Jane Austen book off my mum (who knew she even had time to read?), but I’m only really interested in Emma since I started watching the new webseries Emma Approved. While I'm still not sure if it beats its predecessor the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, I'm enjoying it so far and am pretty sure it'll take off once it has time to get on its feet!

As you can see I've also thrown some Yen and Frankie magazines into the mix, since I've got a bad habit of impulsively buying and not reading them until they're out of date. Anyway, what are you reading right now? I haven't picked up a funny, lighthearted novel in a while, so swing any recommendations my way! Although, I'm pretty much open to everything so any life changing reads would be good too. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

17 comments:

  1. Wow we were quite the opposites when we were younger :P I remember trying to read one time on a road trip and I got a headache both from reading and the smell of the book??? Haha. Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books and the Jane Austen collection all-in-one looks so good and I have to get myself one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked to read when I was younger too but I was very picky about the books I read, and always put a book down if I wasn't interested in the story line after 3 chapters haha. I read Jane Eyre, and 3 of the jane austen books and honest to God I hated them when I read them hahaha. If I read them again maybe my opinion will change but I I just couldn't stand them when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost interest in reading when I got into high school too. It wasn't until a year after graduation that I rediscovered my love for reading again. Especially since I got myself an e-reading, the amount of books I consume scares me sometimes (Goodreads keeps a count of books read).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, HSC English has ruined some books for me forever... like Frankenstein and Wuthering Heights, haha. I love some Sherlock Holmes though! Lately I've been making my way through the Harry Potter series again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I was a librarian in primary and read all the books in that library but HSC did destroy reading for me. I spent about a year reading and going through a Frankie, back when they had photos of models on the cover - it was too beautiful for one reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so addicted to books I volunteered and lived in the library. I remember when the last Harry Potter book came out and my Mom went to the store right when it opened and I woke up to the book on my nightstand - best morning ever! Books take you to a different world of endless beauty and possibilities! Never stop reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely post. I agree that having reading forced on you does ruin reading - I'm only just getting back into it now and it's been about a year since I was forced to do any kind of reading. It's nice to be able to read whatever I want again and have the time to do so.

    http://www.erinoxnam.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with Emma Approved, possibly because it was my first Austen book and my love. And I definitely need to get my mojo back again, I've actually stopped reading for years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same thing with magazines! But they're still great when I get round to them anyway, and they're always useful for my collage addiction! I won't bore you with what I'm reading because I have four or five on the go at once at the moment! (I know some people think that's a nad habit but it really works for me.)
    - Tea For Two

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't read anything in a car or bus! I get super naucious :c
    Unlike in a train or plane. I still need to read Jane Austen
    'Pride and Prejudiced' but I've seen the movie already and I
    loved it SO much! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. In college, I went on a Jane Austen binge-reading session and found Emma to be a delightful read.
    Although I can't read on a moving vehicle otherwise I'd get car sick.
    Can't wait for you to finish reading all of those fantastic books :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  12. My childhood is defined by reading, books and imaginary characters and plots. Lost interest in reading or had no time when I started university though :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've definitely gone through reading phases in my life. when i was really young, probably about 5, i used to keep a torch hidden under my bed so i could read after i was told to go to sleep! prescribed reading in high school definitely kills the mojo though, but i found about year 11 was when i really got back into it and i've had times when i've hardly got any reading done (mostly when i was driving everywhere i went) but now i've been getting the train to and from work every day for over a year it means i have a LOT of reading time to take advantage of and i love it!

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. just found your blog and i love it!!! i just bookmarked it :)

    would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on my blog! I'm trying to improve it; and your feedback would be so helpful


    www.stonefoxinterrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should definitely make some more time to start reading books again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it weird that I got tingly and excited when I saw your first picture full of books? I'm a total bookworm, and crammed as many as I could over the summer while researching. Tell us your faves and maybe when I have a life I'll get back to cranking through them (though to be honest, I'm still keeping my half-finished Dance with Dragons by bed; I just wish med school would slow down a bit).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a total book worm..I have this motto of reading at least one book a month..I've done that for the last 3 years I think...and so far so good, sometimes I read 3 books in a month, depending on the subject and the time I have..anyway, Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors..I hope you get the chance to read Persuasion later on.,..that one's a thrill if you like dramatic love stories... cool post!

    ReplyDelete