diy monogram mugs

I'm not sure if it's the soul-sucking effect of uni, but lately I've been feeling the urge to make something. Anything. I used to draw all the time and would usually be dubbed 'most creative' by my peers, but I could hardly live up to that name anymore! Anyway, a combination of itchy fingers and pining for these Anthropologie monogram mugs made me want to try making the infamous Sharpie mug I see so much on Pinterest. I just have an innate need for things with my initial printed on them, okay?





The mugs I got were from a White Elephant stall, and at $2 for a box of stuff they basically cost next to nothing! As you can see they're not in the best condition, but I kind of like the marble effect they have going on. If anything, I think cheap mugs will work better in terms of the ink adhering to the glaze. I used oil-based permanent markers (mine are from Daiso) because I heard they'd last longer, but I guess only time will tell.



The font I used is Roman Print and happens to be the same one used on the Anthropologie mugs (downloaded from here)! It takes a bit of guesswork to get the right sized letter, so I printed out two just in case...





Here's a trick I learnt way back when I was in primary school! To trace the letter, shade the back of the printout with lead pencil, tape it to the mug's surface then go over the printed lines. A faint outline should be left behind, just be careful not to smudge it with your hand.







This is the bit that requires the concentration of gods. Ever so carefully trace the outline with your pen, and take your time with it! If you slip up don't panic, just get a cotton bud and remove the offending mark with nail polish remover. Do it as soon as possible before the ink gets a chance to dry though, otherwise you risk being left with a greyish cast.



Once you're finished bake your mug at 180°C (160°C fan-forced) for 30 minutes, leave it in the oven to cool before you touch it then voila! I found this project takes a lot of experimentation and I'm a bit scared that the dishwasher will erase all my hard work, so hand wash only it is for now. Or I could never clean it and make it a glorified pencil holder, either's fine. Have you been DIYing anything lately? I'm already thinking of a pattern to draw on my second mug!

14 comments:

  1. Wahhh go you Mani c: These mugs looks they
    are bought from stores! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, it's absolutely cute! It looks like from shop, thanks for sharing! I'm addicted to pretty mugs. :D
    http://10thjune.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a cool idea, and you did a great job too, it looks like you bought it! and i totally used to trace things with pencil before using pen when i was younger too. i'm surprised it works on the mug but it would definitely make drawing neat lines like that a lot easier.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooo! Your mug looks great. I would have forgotten about the trick we all learnt in primary school if it wasn't for this post. I actually saw the icon on my blogger dashboard and wondered how on earth you managed to draw a perfect "M" on a curved surface :P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manisay your life is so creative and fun and your blog is like my happy place when I NEED to procrastinate (,:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this turned out so pretty! I can't believe you got the M on there so nicely, I would definitely not have the skill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! The pencil part was really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great DIY! The result looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute mug! I most definitely would not have the patience, but I think it looks really nice and is a more affordable alternative to Antropologie's mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the style of letter you chose! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the mug looks great. :) I really like how the mug looks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude drawing on a mug is extra hard because of it's curved shape! You're so talented :) It's super cute.

    www.Desgettier.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great idea,i really like the anthropologie mugs but this idea is even better :)thanks for sharing
    following you now on gfc,maybe you want to do the same? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That’s a nice finished product! Once you succeed doing it on the first try, it will be hard too keep yourself from doing some more. I think that can also be a good gift idea. It's so cute and you even made it seem so easy to make. Thanks!

    Tracy Webb

    ReplyDelete